Volunteer Support Group Facilitators are a vital part of Alzheimer’s Orange County’s (AOC’s) direct services and support for families impacted by dementia. Support Group Facilitators have a regularly scheduled monthly commitment to conduct groups in the community at locations such as senior/community centers, churches, libraries, etc.
We are looking for passionate volunteers to provide family caregivers with support and education about dementia, compassion for the challenges of caregiving, and connection to AOC for additional support. AOC support groups provide the opportunity to gain new coping skills, validation of fears and frustrations, learn problem solving tools, and share feelings in a confidential, supportive environment.
Pending interview, additional training (provided by AOC), background check, and freedom from potential conflicts of interest, interested candidates are asked for a minimum one year commitment consistently facilitating or co-facilitating 1-2 group meetings per month.
We are currently looking for Facilitators in the following communities:
- Buena Park, Buena Park Senior Activity Center – 3rd Friday of every month, 10:30 am
- Lake Forest, Saddleback Church, faith-based – 1st Monday of every month, 7 pm
- Laguna Niguel, St. Timothy’s Catholic Church, faith-based – 2nd Saturday of every month, 10:30 am
- Laguna Woods, Geneva Presbyterian Church – 1st Tuesday of every month, 3:30 pm
- South Orange County, Spanish speaking – day, time and place to be determined based on Volunteer’s availability
- Yorba Linda – day, time and place to be determined based on Volunteer’s availability
Specialized Support Group Facilitator: We also have a unique opportunity to work under the direction of a Licensed Clinical Social Worker within the context of a specialized group, which meets at Alzheimer’s Orange County in Irvine on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of each month, from 10 am – 1 pm.